Question
Posted by: Lady cyclist | 2010/02/19

Cant loose body fat - muscle definition

hi, i am woman aged 27 and have been training intensly for mountain biking for almost a year now. I have seen a biokineticist and am on a great program, however if i look at my female friends doing similar they are much more muscular and stronger than me. i cant loose bodyfat but am training so hard if i do more i will prob over train. could this be due to low testosterone levels and how can I increase my levels? i am getting so frustrated, i count calories, take meal replacements and have basically perfected my diet. please help i am on the verge of throwing in the towel, why go to all the effort of hours in the gym and in the saddle and i dont look like a cyclist? Please help, should i see a dietician, gp to test my testosterone or just go the the pharmacy and ask them? Please help

Dear Lady Cyclist
The reason why some people will develop sculpted, muscular bodies, while others do not, can be due to your basic body shape. Mesomorphs tend to have a higher percentage of muscle tissue in their bodies, so it is easier for mesomorphs to turn themselves in 'Mr Atlas'. Endomorphs have a tendency to gain weight and store fat with a much lower muscle tissue percentage, so if you are an endomorph it is particularly difficult to become mean and lean. The 3rd body type is called ectomorph which is a lean, wiry body build. Long distance runners and the Tour de France cyclists are usually ectomorphs. I don't know which one of these body types you have, but I do think that you should be assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), BEFORE you start taking male hormones or supplements from the chemist that can be potentially harmful.
So do see a dietitian ASAP

1

Dear Lady Cyclist
So do see a dietitian ASAP