Question
Posted by: Sleepless | 2010/11/10

Cant fall asleep and stay asleep, and depression

I struggle to fall asleep, even when really tired. Toss and turn, non stop. When I eventually do fall asleep at some ungodly hour in the morning, I wake up at 5! During the day I struggle with energy and concentration, and usually by 10 or 11am, I just want to lie down and rest, but cant ever sleep during the day.

I am constantly tired and lacking the energy I used to have. Even yawn like mad in the gym! This lack of concentration and energy makes it hard for me to work, focus on studies or research, and of course be the fun dad I should be to my son.

I am 44, otherwise in good health, relatively fit, and eat well.

Been like this for many years, and always have got around it by taking Valium or the odd stilnox, or even over the counter tabs. And then I would take Bioplus to try give that kick in the day, but that doesn t really help. I just need some good, solid sleep!

If I do have a good night, then I am great the next day. Could it be depression, eventhough I dont think I am depressed.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Depression can certainly cause this kind of problem, and you should be checked out for that.

However, a sleep disorder can also cause depression.

If you are otherwise in good health, get to a sleep doctor. You should not need the "energy boosters", Valium, etc. If there is no other cause for it, these problems can usually be sorted out without medication.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/11/11

Reply to Sleep expert