Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/05/06

Cant express myself

Hi doc. I read vastly but have a problem expressing myself. I cannot think of words to use. Therefore I stick to very basic english, which is frustrating. I do suffer from anxiety and am on medication for this. What else could be affecting me? thanks.

Basic English is a great strength, and can be used to communicate almost anything, clearly. Those of us who don't read much, don't pick up much of a larger vocabulary, and it can indeed be enjoyable to explore a language and find the range o slightly different words available to use. I find English is like oil painting, as there may be several alternative words for what you want to say, but one is exactly the right shade and colour.
So don't get anxious about it, but read, preferably good books ( not boring ones ) and get a basic dictionary or use an online dictionary to check out words you don't yet understand.

3
Posted by: Tiffany | 2011/05/08

I actually have the same problem. I read a lot but suffer from some type of anxiety. I dont use medication. i also struggle to find words to express what I feel when I am in a situation, specifically confrontational situations. Dont know if there is a solution

Reply to Tiffany

Posted by: Truth | 2011/05/06

If only people who have trouble expressing themselves also kept to simple,words they understand the meaning of, it would be less frustrating for the listener.
I cannot think this is adding to your anxiety unless of course you are a politician.
Not being able to use big words that your electorate cannot understand may not make you popular with the pseudo intellectuals at the top!

Reply to Truth