Question
Posted by: T | 2011/03/15

Can''t express milk

Hi there. My little boy is 6 months old and i am working. I am still breastfeeding, but feel my breasts arent getting as full as what they use to. Although he still seems sattisfied, i am worried. I also can''s express milk. To be able to express one bottle, I need to NOT feed him off one breast the whole day to be able to express at least 100ml of milk that night. This is uncomfortable and a mission to say the least.
Is there anything I can take to increase my milk supply? I take 2 esperide in the morning and this still doenst work (still can''t express) and I am starting to use some elixir that my pharmacist recomended and also starting to use rescue drops at night now too. Is there anything else i can try?

Hallo T
The less you stimulate your breasts the less your milk will become. To actually increase milk supply you need to have the stimulation of the "sucking" even if only a few drops come out. Have you tried a breast pump? If you continue like this your milk will dry up soon, even if you take espiride and elixir :-(

3
Posted by: T | 2011/03/16

Thank you. I am using a breast pump and i am still breastfeeding my little one. I feed him in the morning before i leave for work, i go home and feed him at 10:30 and again at lunchtime and then again at 5, unless he niggles, then i go home in the afternoon as well. Weekends i feed him on demand!

Reply to T
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/03/16

Hi T,

Try taking the espiride 3 times a day, that is the recommended schedule. But, as CyberDoc said, stimulation of the breasts is what makes more milk. When you express (I take it that you are using a berstpump?) you will need to continue pumping for another 10 minutes after the breast is empty. Within 3 days your milk supply will increase. Milk supply increases ONLY in response to nipple stimulation by suckling!!! Please don''t give up!

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/15

Hallo T