Question
Posted by: Mel | 2011-01-26

Can''t even walk

Please can someone assist coz i feel that i am dying here. I started gym last week. I went Mon and Tues only. Anyway this week, it was more serious and i want to try for at least 5 days a week for the first few weeks. Monday I did the bicycle..... (20 min) after that some circuit work. (+- 45min for both). Yesterday i did 20 min on treadmill and than circuit work (+-1hour), today i am so so sore, i can''t even walk. Any suggestions for tonight as i don''t want to get hurt or feel worse tomorrow.

Hi Mel

Don't worry, you just overdid it and by the time you read this, you'll be feeling normal again. That pain you felt is normal - it's called delayed onset of muscle soreness and it happens when your muscles are damaged by a bout of exercise that you ar enot used to.

That goes away as you get fitter and stronger, but you need to just back off the training. You're doing the right things, but you need to cut down on the length (so do a 25 minute circuit set, not an hour) and also the weights (lift 20 kg, not 35kg, for example), and your body will adapt.

By mid-February, you'll be up at an hour, no problem, but right now, that's too much and you just need to reign it back and train a little easier!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-01-31

Hi Mel

Reply to fitnessdoc