Question
Posted by: Indecisive | 2011/11/26

Can''t decide whether or not to try therapy

After years of having untreated depression, last year I finally went to my doctor for help and went on an antidepressant. Had been pretty much fine since then up until a month ago. I had a major relapse of symptoms.

My doctor adjusted my meds and I had convinced myself that trying therapy (most likely CBT) would be a good idea. I still haven''t contacted anyone to make an appointment.

Now that the medication increase is working and I''m feeling good I am back to being hard headed and thinking I don''t need therapy.

What can therapy do for me, or how can I convince myself it would still be benefitial even though I''m feeling OK.
I know I''m partially kidding myself that I don''t need therapy, one of the biggest reasons I haven''t gone yet is because I have really bad phone call making anxiety.

It''s such a hard decision to make myself go.

CBT would be an excellent idea, and could usefully, as well as dealing with the depression, help you unlearn this problem about making appointments and talking yourself out of things you really need. Phone call anxiety it could readily deal with. Get someone else to make the appointment for you, which will add to the sense of being committed to going, and more embarrassing and difficult to make excuses not to !

2

Posted by: Maria | 2011/11/26

I can so relate to the phone call anxiety. It''s a depression symptom, and it means you''re not as ok as you think you are. It''s one of my benchmarks for depression, I know I''m getting into trouble when I start hesitating to pick up the phone. Get someone else to call and make the appointment. If you have to call yourself, write down what you need to say so that you have a piece of paper to refer to. That really helps, as you focus on what you want to say before you make the call and you are then less likely to freeze or stammer. I did the same thing before I went to see my current psychologist the first time. I typed up 2 pages with my history and current issues and gave it to her to read when I got there. It was just so much easier for me than having to sit there and gather my thoughts into a logical story.

I hope that helps. Take care.

Reply to Maria