Posted by: Vuyo | 2012-07-06

Can''t cope with repeat cystitis any more....

HI Doc

Last year I was getting cystitis attacks maybe once every six weeks. I am most prone to getting extremely painful honeymoon cystitis - I am a single woman and am in great pain within a day or two of seeing any partner. This year I have thankfully had it only twice - but the March episode was so severe it eventually landed me in hospital for 10 days, after the infection crept up my urethra and caused me agonising kidney/flank pain and even delirium. At some point I completely lost the ability to urinate and was on a catheter for four days.

I now have cystitis again after being intimate two days ago - and I notice this time that the urine is very cloudy and that the burning sensation remains in the urethra for up to 30 mins after I have urinated. I also have terrible urgency and need to be on the toilet maybe 10 seconds after the sensation comes, which is making work lilfe very difficult. The smell is very ammonia-pungent and I have lower back pain.

I was scanned and scanned in hosp in March, everything from ultrasound to CT. They ruled out pyelonephritis after noticing I was not feverish, altho I had agonising pain exactly in the kidney region. I try to urinate before and after sex and still get this problem. Must I just be celibate....but then again last year I had repeat attacks even during periods of celibacy. What is wrong with me and why don''t things like CitroSoda etc help? I don''t want to be on antibiotics permanently. Why am I so incredibly prone? The quality of my life is suffering - up to 12 attacks each year. I can''t cope any more.

By the way I don''t know if this info is relevant but I have nocturia and for about ten years (I am now 38) have never made it thru the night without 1 - 3 toilet visits.Fluid intake or lack thereof makes no difference - I can be completely dehydrated and still urinate ferquently. I also, when I am out to dinner or something, get up to urinate 5 -10 times duriing the course of the evening. It is very very embarrassing and happens even tho I am voiding completely when I visit the toilet.

pls help, quality of life fast deteriorating....

Firstly, you will have to consult a doctor for an oral course of antibiotics to treat the cystitis. You will also have to consult an urologist, as it is possible that there is a structural abnormality of the bladder or the bladder neck, which is the cause for your problems. An urologist will be able to assist with treatment of your condition.