Question
Posted by: KM | 2008-12-03

Cant cope anymore

I had a baby about 7 months ago. Returned to work at four months. However I dont seem to be able to cope like I use to. It feels like this dark hole and I am just falling. Theres just so much to do. I feel guilty being at work since I dont spend much time with my baby. And when I do spend time with my baby, then I dont want to be alone with him. My work life is struggling. My home life feels like a struggle. My husband is highly supportive but I dont know what to do anymore. There is just too few hours and too many things to do and I dont know how to manage it anymore. I use to work so efficiently. Top of my game and now I cant even seem to do basic work at work. What should I do? Please can I have some advice? I need to find some direction and some way of coping as I cant be fallng into this black whole anymore.

This sounds VERY like a PND, post-natal depression, which is a common disorder, which, fortunately, generally responds really well to proper treatment. Arrange, urgently ( no point in feeling so bad for any longer than a minimum ) to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and treatment advice . This will probably include medication, and if possible CBT-style counselling, a combination which is particularly effective. The depression saps your usual levels of effectiveness and confidence, producing this combination of feeling miserable and feeling as though you're sliding further behind every day. This is a very successfully treatable condition. Discuss this with your husband, and get the best available local treatment asap. And do keep in touch with the forum to keep us in the picture as you work your way out of this, and return to the effective and cheerful person you can be