Question
Posted by: sssnoopy | 2011-08-16

Cant come right

I have suffered with chronic sinusitis since I was a teenager.At the age of 57 I still suffer so badly.
Over the tears I have had IV antibiotics.ASinus drainage, Sphenoid sinus ops.nre than 15 over the years. I suffer from a post nasal drip all the time.I wake at night not being able to swallow, my mouth dry, Headaches often.My head never feels clear.
I have recently had a bout of flu which has affedted my sinus/rhinitus badly.
I am constanly dizzy and disorientated and what shocked is my doc says my kungs are not in a good shape (yes I do smoke but do not inhale) Even when I do not smoke nothing changes.
In May I hsd major surgery and the CT scans showed my lungs as clear.

At present I am havinf difficulty as I am constantly dizzy and not sure why.I am still on meds (anti biotics)

Just mention my sinus problem started lonf before I started smoking and carried on even in the years I gave up. I do know certain plants ,perfume and foods trigger it off
Any sugestions or answers are welcome

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sssnoopy

There is no safe way to smoke. It is, and always will be dangerous to your health.
Regarding your chronic sinusitis, it may be that you have resistant bacteria in your sinus cavities. Taking a swab may help to identify the problem. Patients suffering from Chronic Rhino Sinusitis (CRS), are difficult to treat, and no easy solution is always available. You will need chronic mediaction to manage your problem, this may include nasal antibiotic douches, topical steroid sprays, and chronic, longterm antibiotics in some cases.
If you do not have an ENT, you should get anther opinion, ie another examination, to re asses the problem. You may require longterm antibiotics to help controll the problem, but doing a nasal swab to try and indentify the causative organism, is very important.