Question
Posted by: Laricha | 2012/07/20

Can''t accept the death of Baby Zuko

Hi there. I need some closure. I''m filled with grief and a broken heart. I just don''t no how to reject these feelings. I lost my baby boy Yesterday afternoon.

My baby boy, Zuko, (today 3 months) Blue Great Dane, got sick on 30/06/2012. I took him into hospital on 02/07/2012 where he was admitted with parvo. He came home again on 04/07/2012 looking much better. Eating, playing, you name it.

Last week Thursday night he threw up again and I rushed him to the hospital the next Friday morning. From there it just went downhill. He had gastro, depression, vomiting, not being aware of anything going on around him.

Yesterday, they told me there''s not much they can do for him anymore. The blood started to run from his nose as well. I am so heart sore. And I just don''t know what made him die. So I went to go fetch him from the hospital with his drip and all to take him to another Vet. I just felt the need to try and do more to save him.

The Dr at the 2nd vet told me that his chances are not good. My baby was so weak and couldn''t even lift his head or open his eyes anymore. Dr said he''ll try his best. What happened next, i couldn''t believe. My baby lifted his head, rested it on my hand and looked deep into my eyes, and then they closed again. As i was walking out, the Dr called me back again. He took his last breath.

All I want to know is was there anything else I could''ve done? Did he really wait for me before he said goodbye just to take one last look at me and tell me with his eyes everything will be okay? Did he wait for me to walk out before he gave his last breath not to die in front of me? How can I get the answers? Will I still feel his presence? I just don''t know how to get over this? I know I''ve only known him for a short time but he dug right into my heart and i Ioved him dearly.

Its very clear you couldn't possibly have done more for him. These illnesses and viruses can be deadly in even the best looked after pet. Sadly, really bad things sometimes happen even to very good people or animals. These are very early days yet, and yes, if you allow yourself to do so, you will get over this and remember Zuko with joy for all he was rather than sadness at what you lost.
The bond with a loved pet is more deep than anyone who has not been lucky enough to experience this, an understand.
We need to be cautious to try to love them AS A DOG, with all the marvellous dogggy characteristics they havem not not to think of them as a small hairy person. From what relatively little we know about dogs and cats, they are indeed capable of deep love, without the complex questioning we may have ; but if we allow ourselves too much to read human thoughts and ideas into them, we will misunderstand them, and not do them full justice for what they are, and how good that it. He loved you, and I'm sure he was aware of that to the end, and was comforted by your presence.

3
Posted by: Laricha | 2012/07/23

Thank you so much for the advise and kind words.

Reply to Laricha

Posted by: anon | 2012/07/20

You did all you could and more.
He loved you - I think this is what he was expressing when he put his head on your hand.
Try find comfort in this. Your grief should get better.
You were kind and Zuko knew this.

Reply to anon