Question
Posted by: Althea | 2011-10-27

CANNOT SLEEP WITHOUT SLEEPING TABS

Good day.

Could you please assist me. I''m 38 years old and I''ve had this sleeping problem for more than 20 years now. Things has gotten so bad that I now take 1 to 2 Dormicum 15mg every night. With taking the tabs I''m only able to sleep for about 3 hours then I wake up at 2-3am. Sometimes I will end up taking another half just to try and sleep for one full night.. I know these tabs are not good for me and I know I need to stop them. When I try and go without them I actually don''t sleep at all and with that I cannot function at work

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This, unfortunately, is why sleeping tablets should not be used for more than a couple of days in a row - one gets used to them and they lose their effect, but to stop them causes a major insomnia which can last even a couple of weeks - although it then does settle.

It is clear that you have an underlying sleep problem which is going to need to be managed. Just coming off the tablets alone will only leave you back where you started.

You are going to have to find your way to a sleep doctor, who will help you solve the sleep problem, and simultaneously get off the tablets.

Ask your GP to point you in the right direction. This is, surprisingly, not as hard as it sounds, but it will need the help of a professional.