Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2011-03-22

Cannot get deceased friend''s face out of my mind

Dear Prof
This past Sat (19 March) my friend and neighbour''s 17-yr-old daughter came rushing to my apartment at 10am saying her mom(my friend) could not wake up. I then went to check (same complex) and discovered that she has passed on. She was already stiff and cold but I couldn''t tell the girl that she was dead because I am not professionally trained to declare people dead. Only the emergency services declared her dead an hour later and said the cause was either stroke or heart attack. She was 35. Everything went well after that (parents and relatives came and we organised a hearse) but since then I keep visualising her climbing stairs to my bedroom every night (I live in a duplex). Do you think this will pass with time? I''m really not looking forward to sleeping time because I have terrible nightmares. Thanx.

I do indeed think this will pass in time. Such reactions to a frightening / shocking experience are common and normal, and usually lasty hours or days, rarely more than a week or 2.
I think you are also saying that you ordinarily have nightmares, and fear that you might now have nightmares about this ? It's possible, but again, not likely to last long or happen often.
Only if such symptoms are severe and last more than a couple of weeks, is it usually worth seeing a shrink, because the are so usually upsetting but short-lasting

4
Posted by: Sensible | 2011-03-22

Thanx to you Phil as well.

Reply to Sensible
Posted by: Sensible | 2011-03-22

Yes, I ordinarily have nightmares. I also hope that this will pass in time. Thanx Prof.

Reply to Sensible
Posted by: Phil | 2011-03-22

It can sometimes take very very long, been there more then once.But if you are getting too little sleep, it could affect you in many diffirent ways. I suggest you speak to your gP, maybe get sleeping tabs just to help you get enough rest untill you have dealt with some of the emotions.

Reply to Phil