Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-12-09

Canned dog food

Firstly is canned dog food any good? I see the only few that are currently easily available from supermakerts are Pedigree, Purina, Butch and few brands that are unkown to me. At present I feed my 51/2 months boerboel puppy Purina or Pedigree with every other day with his Ultra dog pellets. Is there any brand that I should buy more than the other? Or as I asked are these canned foods any good for dogs especially growing puppies?

Dear Boerboel Owner

Best to stick to a good quality dry food like Ultradog, you pay more for the tin than the contents.

Posted by: WR | 2008-12-11

Just a note - I suggest rather feeding raw meat than cooked. My 2 GSDs get everything raw (if I do add to their kibble) - as I find that they digest raw meat and bones a lot better than cooked. No bone splinters etc either.
And yes, I know the Eukanuba gives them everything they need, but like you know and said, a bit of Pet' s mince makes the coat shine, makes you feel better and they definately do not mind  -)
On the other hand - they are not fussy eaters!
Game, chicken, egg, etc - all included and loved (by all - woner and dogs  -) )

Reply to WR
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-12-10

Thank you ladies and gents I will keep feeding my dogs canned food with their kibble.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: jax | 2008-12-10

and ditto for me! My brats look at me as if they are the most maltreated dogs on earth if they get dry kibble - mix a third of a can with it, and all is well!

Reply to jax
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2008-12-09

Ditto as per Chill. My 5 dogs get a tin of Husky divided amongst them with some kibbles and in the evenings they get chicken necks with the water that it has been cooked in. Sometimes they get mince, sausages, liver or kidneys with their kibbles. Makes me feel good and some of mine just don' t eat plain kibbles. I know I know, they will eat if they are hungry but what the hell..........

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-09

Yes, that' s what the cybervet is saying. Many people, including me, use a bit of canned food in with the kibble, to make it taste better, but I suspect the main beneficiaries of this are the owners who feel good and the manufacturers who get to keep their jobs. It' s not necessary.

(But I still do it).

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2008-12-09

Your dog only needs the Ultradog Large breed puppy kibbles with no wet food and should be fed on this for at least 2 years and then switched onto and Adult Maintenance kibble for the next 3 years and then dry Senior kibbles from 5 years of age. Dogs don' t need wet food as the kibble aids in cleaining their teeth ans provides all the nutrients they need. Rather spend the tin money on toys or other " luxuries"  for your pup.

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-12-09

Thanx CV but I don`t really get you. Are you saying my dogs will be better off with just the dry food? I currently mix the canned food with the dry food.

Reply to Boerboel Owner