Posted by: Ohboy | 2009-02-23

candidiasis of the underarm

Dear Dr. Breedt,

After paddling and swimming I developped a very painful rash under my arms. The doctor determined that it was candidiasis (she used the term " very bad diaper rash" , but " candidiasis"  listed as the diagnosis in my paperwork). I understand that candida is a yeast that natural inhabits our digestive system and that when it turns into the fungal form this is due to a lowering of the immune system. This makes sense to me when the infection manifests in places like the vagina (i.e. yeast infection) or as oral thrush such as the case with AIDS patients, however in my case the infection was visible on the outside of my body, starting from the inner upper arms and moving towards the elbow (on both sides of the body). The prevailing theory is that there may have been some chaffing from the paddling (I am overweight, but not obese) and that there must have been some fecal matter in the water I was swimming in.

My question is: Could the Candidal organisms have come from my own body, given the location of the rashes, such as the case with AIDS patients or vaginal yeast infections? (n.b. there is no rash where my armpit hair is)

Thank you in advance.

Dear Ohboy
One can get candida on the outside skin, but usually in the warm moist areas like under the breasts or in skin folds, it is rare on the dry exposed areas. Candida is a commensal organism, we can have it in our gut, our genital area and on the skin without it causing disease. It could be that your skin was damaged and gave an opening to the candida to cause an infection.

Posted by: oh boy | 2009-02-23

I understand that the skin was damaged, but did the candida com from inside my body or from the water?

Reply to oh boy