Question
Posted by: Naomi | 2012/08/18

? Candida Infection

Hi, I''m not sexually active but has had several vaginal infections over the past few years, actually since I got my Mirena in 2004 I think it got worse. My gynae replaced it in 2010 or 2011 during a hysteroscopy and I have been ok for a while. Now I''m getting infections again. I am just thinking it''s infections because it gets wet and I can actually sometimes feel the discharge coming out. It goes together with sweating, strangely enough. Last week I was in the office and the aircon was too warm and I was sweating the whole day. The smell was unbearable, like I haven''t bathed. I was treated for a Candida infection about a month ago. And when I was at my Gynae last year she did a swab and it was clear. Can it be that I''m just sweating too much? I sometimes get to off white, yellow discharge. Is it time to replace the Mirena again? I can''t go without it because I use it for painful periods. I can''t take anything else, because I had a DVT while on the pill for my skin, together with the Mirena, and I can''t take anti inflammatories. And I can''t see myself having a period every month. The Mirena works well for me, except now that I''m wondering if it''s the cause of the infections. I must also not wait until 12 to bath over the weekend, otherwise I will also have that terrible smell on Mondays. I sometimes start working early to catch up, and before I can see it''s 12pm already. My Gynae is 500km away, because I haven''t found one in Pretoria yet. The one I had here was not thorough at all.
I prefer to see my gynae when I visit my sister. But it won''t be very soon. Should my GP do a papsmear? That is what she siggested, I was too embarred to tell her about the sweating. what can be done to get rid of it, I already took Natura''s tablets to decrease sweating.

Causes of sweating are menopause if you are in that age group, thyroid problems,fever related to infections. If you had proven Candida, this does tend to recur and you can look at the Top 5 questions for ways of preventing recurrences. There is no need to replace the Mirena in less than 5 years. Pap years should be done once every 1-2 years, so have one if you have not had one done in this time.
See your GP to exclude serious causes of sweating.

1