Question
Posted by: MelV | 2009-08-28

Candida diet

I have read about Candida and the Candida diet on various websites and was alarmed to see that Candida can cause moodiness, depression, upset stomach, athletes foot, etc not only thrush.

I then started with the Candida diet, my husband and I have been avoiding all they say for the past week. I cant really say I see that this will work, nowhere do they say how long you should carry on with it and now I read you say that it has nothing to do with the sugar or bread, etc.

We have done antifungals, etc. but it just keeps coming back.
Do you have any further advice to offer?

Dear MelV
Candida is a fungus that is always present in the human body (a so-called commensural organism, which means it lives quite happily with its host (in this case humans) without causing trouble until the host's metabolism is disturbed (use of antibiotics to treat other conditions, use of female hormones, etc) which then allows the fungus to start growing and taking over from the beneficial organisms we share our bodies with. The so-called 'Candida diet' has been publicly denounced by leading microbiologists (as it starves the host (you) and not the fungus!), but eating a well balanced diet to boost your immune system plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day). I would also like to recommend that you use Vagiforte (a suppository that contains "good" microorganisms) and you can both use oral Acidoflora (Lactobacilli) probiotics. You can purchase both these probiotics from health shops and clinical dietitians (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). It is also necessary to use antifungals and it may be a good idea to ask your dr to test swabs from both of you to check if you do not have a resistant strain which may require special medications.
I do hope you can clear up this troublesome condition.