Posted by: JB | 2010-01-29

Candida and IBS

I am at my wits end. At least 3 weeks out of EVERY month I battle with yeast infection. I' ve been to my doctor for normal visits but she cannot find anything wrong with me. I have been taking Probiotics everyday of my life for the past 2 years but it does not help at all. I' ve tried to cut out all bread and limit my intake of pizza and foods containing yeast but also no success. I also suffer from IBS and regular bladder infections.
I do not know what else to do. What is wrong with me?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Dear JB

It is difficult for me to give you complete advice within this short paragraph. It sounds like you have tried a number of options with no real relief. Many women experience repeated yeast infections with their monthly cycle, so please note that you are not alone. You know your body best, and I would suggest that if your current doctor has not been able to help you, you should consider getting a second opinion. You should also consider consulting a dietician to help you with your diet, as there may be some further simple changes that could benefit you. IBS especially is very specific to the individual, and your diet will need to be tailored to you and what works for you. Finally, there are a number of things to consider for reducing the risk of bladder infections, such as not douching or using bubble baths, wear breathable cotton underwear, try drinking cranberry juice or take a cranberry supplement, and consider changing contraceptives depending on what you are using if any.