Posted by: Mandie | 2009-02-27

Can having a overgrowth of Candida cause you to battle to loose weight.
I am forever batteling with vaginal candida infection, no matter what I do.
I have been trying to loose weight and nothing seems to really work. It will take me a month to loose 2kg and the moment I go off the diet, 2 days and the 2kg is back again.
I do excercise(30-45min cardio vascular trampoline jumping per day), but not even this seems to make a difference in the kilograms, it does seem to firm me up though.
Some people suggest it might be hormones. I am 36, have had a partial historectomy 5 years ago.

Dear Mandie
I don't think that your recurrent Candida is preventing you from losing weight. Some of the leading microbiologists in SA have stated in public that dietary factors do NOT affect Candida infections and cutting out foods like fruit, sugar and wheat will effectively starve the patient, but not affect the Candida organism! All human beings live in harmony with millions of yeasts such as Candida which occur naturally on our bodies. If something upsets the balance between the 'good' microorganisms and the potentially 'bad' organisms like Candida, then the Candida starts to flourish and you get infections. Factors that can promote the overgrowth of 'bad' microorganisms like Candida are stress, hormone treatments, antibiotics, obesity, etc. It may be useful for your Dermatologist to test a swab of your infection (e.g. the vagina, mouth, etc) to see which type of Candida you suffer from as different strains react to different antifungal preparations. It helps to use probiotics or 'good microorganisms' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. If you had a partial hysterectomy or if you take female hormone supplementation this can affect your ability to lose weight. Then other hormones like the thyroid and insulin can play an important role. I would suggest that you consult a physician to have your hormones tested and if you should suffer from insulin resistance to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low fat content and a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day like the trampoline jumping you do, can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so keep up the good work.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-26

If you' re on the pill, this can have a very bad effect on the relationships between the different fungis in your system. Oestrogen sweetens the membranes in your system, and Candida feeds on sugar. So I do believe that you should cut out sugar, but not all sugars like fruit etc. Just cane sugar. My doc says I can even have honey adn Xylitol (sugar made from berries). My trush is gone since I cut out sugar and went off the pill. To speed up the process, mix 5ml of apple cider vinegar with half a glass of water and use it as a douche, and also drink 10ml of it in a glass of water before each meal. It works!!

Good luck.

Posted by: anon | 2009-03-04

This might sound silly to you but for years i suffered with thrush, etc i went to so many gynae' s none of them could help me. Just as I was ready to give up I fell pregnant. During my pregnancy I didn' t get thrush at all, few months afterwards - no thrush.

When i got my figure back and started wearing the clothes (and underware) that I used to this was when the thrush came back. I realised after years of pain and suffering that I could only wear cotton undies. As soon as I wore anything else it would trigger the thrush - I had an allergy !!!!!

you should try it - it' s worth a shot.

Reply to anon