Question
Posted by: BEE | 2009/10/22

CANDEREL

Hi Doc, I have an underactive thyroid, I am on eltroxin. 1mg, I have pernicious anemia &  B12 defficient. I am 49, 74kg &  1.65m tall. Lately I have gained wieght overnight and its depressing. I use canderel and was told it is unhealthy. Please advise. Thanks

Dear BEE
Your present BMI = 18,3 which is very close to being anorexic. For an ideal BMI of 22 you should weigh 59 kg, so a moderate weight increase would actually be beneficial. Gaining weight overnight is just an indication of changes in body water content due to hormonal variations or high salt intake. It is not a good idea to weigh yourself every day because you will get upset if you see the normal fluctuations of weight (up to 3 kg) that can occur from day to day and even from morning to night. Aspartame which is used in Canderel has been declared safe for human use by all the leading nutrition organisations world wide, so you can use it, but in view of your very low weight you really don't need to save kJ.
Please be careful that you don't develop an eating disorder because you are showing some of the signs (conviction that you are overweight when you are in fact underweight, expressing your weight to the second decimal place, worrying about weight fluctuations on a daily basis, using artificial sweeteners to reduce your energy intake when you require additional energy to increase your weight, etc).

1

Dear BEE