Question
Posted by: T-T | 2008/09/22

cancer weight loss and lack of appetite

I am a 63 year old male and in April I was daignosed with Lung cancer, i hve been going for treatment for that, while being on treatment i had a major heart attack after recovering from that i had a stroke on my right hand side. i continued my cancer treatment and had another stroke recently (mild). i have no desire to eat or have any sleep during the nights i have lost almost 20kg. Is there any medication that i can take so that I can feel hungry and eat more often just to pick up weight. thanks

Dear T-T
You really had a difficult time these past few months! One usually does not have a good appetite when on treatment for cancer and you may have an underlying depression triggered by all the stress you had to go through on top of this. Test yourself at http://www.drhansdreyer.com/questionnaires/depression.php and if your rating is high, tell your doctor about this! You may need medication to help you sleep better.
Try to eat 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones, get some Nutramen T and use as a supplement inbetween, drink small sips of Lucozade during the day ( or freeze it and suck the ice blocks) ( it provides energy )
Hope this helps!

1
Posted by: T-T | 2008/09/25

Hi doc, he has been admitted in icu last night, they say its stage 4 of lung cancer. i am so scared for him. how long does he have left?

Reply to T-T