Posted by: cc | 2009-03-12

Cancer prevention diet

Hi DietDoc

Thanks for always answering questions so promptly and with helpful advice.

Will a " cancer prevention"  diet (there are many books on this subject) help to prevent recurrence of cervical cancer given that this cancer is caused by the HPV virus rather than by external factors (like smoking in lung cancer, unhealthy eating in colon cancer etc)? Or will diet not help much in preventing cervical cancer? I am demoralised because it seems no matter how much I could look after myself, the cancer will come back if it decides to and I have no control over it.

Dear CC
You are very kind and I appreciate your comments. I hear what you are saying about cervical cancer and that it is caused by the HPV-virus, but I do think that sensible "cancer prevention" diets will firstly improve your overall health and immunity and certainly stimulate cells such as the T helper cells that combat cancer. A well balanced diet containing plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) should provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health and to boost immunity. Be careful of certain recommendations in cancer prevention books such as the use of untried or potentially dangerous foods (for example a few years ago there was a craze for eating apricot pips which then turned out to be highly dangerous because they are not only lethal to cancer cells, but also to humans).
I sincerely hope that you will improve your response to this cervical cancer and that you will feel a lot better.