Posted by: Racoon | 2012-10-08

Cancer not diagnosed until too late

Dear Doc

I would like to know how it is possible in this day and time that at least 3 different doctors fail to ask for an MRI in someone who shows all the symptoms of brain cancer, ie headache, neck ache, weight loss, ataxia, speech difficulty? a woman of only 42 years old! she has received physical therapy, anxiolytics, been told its all in her mind (shes a director of a company). She finally end of last week, weighing only 47 kg at 5''7, and speaking unclearly and dragging her one foot, was sent for an MRI and its metastatic brain cancer (multiple lesions) which has spread to her spine and lungs (probably originated in the lungs). I am SO angry! this was in Joburg northern suburbs, here in Stellenbosch she would have had an MRI at the first visit! now she will die leaving 2 young children and a devastated family. I cannot understand that so many physicians missed it!???

Yes, I agree with you. MRI scans are very under utilised but it is mainly to blame on the medical aids not paying for these procedures. It is a pity that this very useful tool is so expensive.

Posted by: EDCee | 2012-10-10

I ask the same question.... how is it possible to miss ovarian cancer when taking out a 15kg cyst and only finding it when it has spread to bone and far to late for treatment....
I sadly have lost faith in the medical profession

Reply to EDCee