Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2012/05/26

Cancer Diet

My 66yr old diabetic father was just diagnosed with prostate and kidney cancer. It cannot be treated, but he is suffering most with his diet at this point. He is very nauseas and cannot eat most food. Ensure and some drinking yogurt is all he can manage. What options are available to give him too eat? He cannot eat meat, eggs, starch. I''m desperate to find something that can eat so that he can build up some strength.

Dear Desperate
I am so sorry to hear that your dear Dad is so very ill and that he is not able to eat any solid foods due to extreme nausea. Because he suffers from diabetes, prostate and kidney cancer, it is absolutely vital that he should be under the care of a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). When you contact the dietitian please ask if she/he specialises in cancer patients particularly those with cancer of the kidney. If you Dad is able to use a liquid meal replacement like Ensure and drinking yoghurt until he can see the dietitian, he will at least be ingesting a completely balanced feed. However you urgently require the input of a so-called "renal" dietitian because patients with severe kidney disease may need to use a low-protein, low-potassium and low-sodium diet and another type of liquid feed. If you can’t find a “renal” dietitian via the Internet, please phone the ADSA Head Office at (011) 061-5000, and ask them for a referral. Contact a renal dietitian ASAP.
Holding thumbs for you and your dear Dad

1

Dear Desperate