Posted by: Sahara | 2009-05-28

Cancer caused loss of use of right hand

My mum has been diagnose with cancer. The tumor is located just below the collar bone. She has completed her Chemo treatment and recently finished +- 20 radium sessions. Her doctors mentioned to her that the tumor has caused the nerves on the right hand to become mangled. This has resulted in loss of use completely in this hand. We were hoping that after the radium and the tumor shrinking she would slowly recover use of the hand......this has not happend.

I would like to know if there is anything that she can do to help bring back the use of her hand. Physio has not helped either. Is there anything to help regenerate the dameged nerves in the hand
Thanks for you time and assistance

Hallo Sahara
You may have to be patient - unfortunately these things can take up to 18 months to recover. If the pressure on the nerves is relieved, it may take time for the nerve to regenerate. It may be useful to continue with physiotherapy even if it is just to prevent contractures of the joints and I would strongly advise you to see an occupational therapist to make her a hand splint to keep the muscles in the right position. Do not stop exercising the hand - improvement may come slowly and in small increments.