Question
Posted by: Bunnyhugger | 2009-12-09

Cancer and muscle spasms

A family member' s staffie has cancer. Although she still has an appetite and bowel movements, she sometimes doesn' t move for hours at a time and appears completely miserable.

A vet says that one Panado in her food will do the trick when she is feeling like that. I can' t imagine that that would be sufficient..? Are we prolonging her suffering?

Dear Bunnyhugger

I would just ask the vet for something like Metacam or rimadyl to give to her daily.

Its a hard decision to make and very difficult to know when dogs begin to suffer.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-12-10

Dear Bunnyhugger

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009-12-09

A whole tablet for a staffie? 500mg?

Sounds like a lot to me... I think the conventional dose is something like 10 mg per kg, for pain relief. Check on this, as an overdose may have very serious effects.

If the dog perks up after the panado, then it' s likely she' s in pain without it, which means that perhaps she is suffering. Your vet should be able to advise you on this.

Good luck.

Reply to Chill