Posted by: Craig Van Straaten | 2009-08-06

Cancer and fear

My wife has recently been diagnosed with throat cancer. She starts CRT next week. What is the best way to prepare her for the CRT and support her in her battle to beat this cancer?

Expert ImageCancer survivors guest forum

The oesophagus is very sensitive to radiation, and while under going radiation swallowing will become very difficult thus influencing her ability to eat well.

Please eat food at room temperature, and small meals more often. Get some Ensure (milkshake drink ) that contains all nutrients. It will assist when eating is hard.

If you would like to speak with some one that has gone through this kind of treatment ( a cancer buddy )please email me at and I will arrange this for you. Speaking with some one that has had the same treatment as you helps build hope, and it lets you know that someone else got through this experience so can I .

In this time before the radiation let her eat well to build some fat reserves. Ensure that she eats enough protein to assist in building new cells. Cancer treatment is challenging as the radiation effects all the fast growing cells. Radiation also makes the patient tired and often times very emotional. This is normal allow time to cry and be sad, but don't give up hope - live one moment to the next .

Plan something nice and fun for when the treatment is done.

Just be alongside her, supporting and listening and helping.