Question
Posted by: Curious about cancer | 2012-08-31

Cancer

I know this is probably the wrong forum to post in but I''d like to hear from any cancer survivors or anyone here going through cancer.

My mom has breast cancer and she started her first chemo treatment this week. I''d like to know how long do the side effects last for.

It''s a tough thing we are going through as a family but we are positive she will pull through this.

Have you tried calling the national Cancer Association ? They sometimes have a local support group for cancer patients and their families, and in some areas like breast cancer, may be able to link you to a survivor who can visit your mom and talk about not only how she has survived, but practical tips about dealing with it. TThe association should also provide a means for family support.

3
Posted by: EDCee | 2012-09-05

Hello Curious,
Unfortunately I don''t have any good stories to share both my parents lost their fights with this awful disease.

All I can tell you is don''t over-google : as in get too much information it will drive you crackers, rather go with what your mom and her doctors are telling you unless it sounds crazy.
The best advice I can give is just be supportive - its what they really need.
As for what to expect, everyone''s journey is different so just take each day as it comes... eat the elephant one piece at a time.
Good luck!!!

Reply to EDCee

Thank you Anon.

Reply to Curious about cancer
Posted by: anon | 2012-08-31

my dad survived throat cancer..,after chemotherapy the cancer was gone...u need to be strong for her as the treatment makes them very weak n sick but it will be well in the end..read up on cancer,talk to her doctor 2find out more info.

Reply to anon