Question
Posted by: roline | 2011/11/10

cancer?

We tried for 4 years to fall pregnant - with 2 AI''s - and several hormone treatments. Eventually, after almost giving up, I fell pregnant and had a beautifull baby boy - at the age of 40. 9 months after his birth I fell pregnant again, but lost the baby at 10 weeks. Had a D& C - this was in April 2011. Since then, I had 3 periods (which did not feel like " real"  periiods) and now for the last 3 months...nothing! My dr put me on provera for 5 days and then fertomid (2 tablets a day). But still no period. Could I ask YOUR opinion of what you think could be the problem? can it be ovarian cancer? early menopause?

Dear Roline

The likelihood of it being ovarian cancer is very remote considering your age and the symptoms you have described to me. The possibility of early menopause is always there and a blood test will be able to determine if that is possible. The fact that you have stopped bleeding after a D&C and have not bleed after both Provera and Fertomid then the more likely reason that there could be the presence of adhesions within the uterine cavity preventing menstrual blood flow. Your doctor will normally then perform a Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) or a Hysteroscopy to determine the diagnosis correctly.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/11/20

Dear Roline

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert