Question
Posted by: Lori | 2009-12-08

Cancer

Doc,

My paternal gran died of cancer. Today my maternal gran was diagnosed with breast cancer. Is cancer really hereditary? Besides feeling so heartbroken and shocked about my gran, I am now terrified. I am 35. I have been on HRT when I was 31 and fertility treatment the past 2 yrs. Does this put me at greater risk?

Hallo Lori
Some cancers have a genetic trait - but it only means that your risk for breastcancer is slightly higher if your mom or grandmother had breastcancer, not that you WILL get it! You should just go for yearly breast examinations, and start doing mammograms after 40 years. You should also learn how to do self breast examination - google it, you will find very nice sites with step by step instructions. Using esterogen and progesterone does increase your risk - and the longer you use it, the greater the risk.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-12-08

Hallo Lori
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc