Posted by: Stella Maneli | 2009-08-24

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2006 where my left brease had to be taken off. A year later I had a recurrance in both of my ovaries and the whole set was also removed. In 2006 I was put on Tamoxyfen and when I had the second one I was given Femara 2. I am afraid of taking these tablets because of the Tamoxyfen that did not work. My oncologist is not aware that I am not taking my prescription. I now think that the cancer is coming back next to my neck I have a lump that is slightly sore.

Dear Stella
Whether you take medication prescribed for you is your choice, but the ideal is to decide together with your doctor why and what medication you will be taking. If you are unsure why you need to take certain medication or you are afraid of side effects, please discuss this with your doctor or one of the sisters at the oncology clinic. Femara helps to suppress estrogen that feeds breast cancer. It prevents cancer from recurring but it is not an anti-cancer drug like a chemotherapy drug. I think you should be frank with your doctor and inform him that you did not take the medication - it is not the end of the world. The lump however needs to be examined - it could just be a swollen lymphnode due to local infection in the head and neck area so is not necessarily the cancer coming back.