Question
Posted by: BI | 2009-06-17

Can' t take it anymore

Hi CS,
How do I go about getting myself committed to a hospital for a week or so. I am so tired and unmotivated. I' m losing it!
I' m bipolar and I need a break.
My job is killing me it' s so boring I feel like having an accident on the way to work sometimes so I can get out of going... this is not healthy and I know it, I just wouldn' t care if I did.
And I got divorced last year after a traumatic suicide attempt and I haven' t had a break since.
I need to recuperate before this gets so bad I do something stupid!
I do have a psychiatrist. Do I ask him to have me committed?
What can I do?

You need, anyway, to see a shrink as soon as practical. Preferably whoever has been treating you and your bipolar disorder so far, as they should know you well, or if you have or somereason found their care unacceptable, a new shrink for a second opinion. You sound depressed and potentially suicidal, and this is something any shrink should take seriously. Your psychiarist will surely want to help, and should indeed consider the option of hospital admission for a while --- there is no need or you to be "commiitted" as you want treatment and admission