Question
Posted by: Bronwyn | 2008/08/09

can' t stop eating

I' m desperate for some help as my appetite seems to have raged out of control.
I' m having a crazy year. I' ve moved away from home and moved to another town with my boyfriend. I' ve also started studying towards an accountants degree so I' m under a lot of stress at the moment.
My problem is I am hungry ALL THE TIME! I' ll sit at the table and have a good healthy meal and as soon as I put my fork down I feel like I need to eat something else! I crave salty spicy foods all the time. At first I thought it may be because the new town I' m living in is much higher altitude than the coastal town I came from?
I' m just desperate cause I seem to be getting fatter and fatter and even wth the exercise I don' t seem to be able to keep it under control..
Am I missing key nutrients? Also I find that my joints are aching when I wake up in the mornings and I can' t carry anything heavy - not even my shopping bags. I' m turning 30 in December, but I feell 50.
Please help

Dear Bronwyn
The stress your are exposed to may very well be the reason why you are so hungry all the time. When the human body is exposed to stress, it makes a number of hormones such as cortisol (which is similar to cortisone) and this can interfere with your blood gluose control and stimulate your appetite. I would recommend that you do the following: a) consult a clinical psychologist (your dr can refer you) to help you through this difficult period and the teach you methods (e.g. biofeedback, relaxing techniques, etc) to cope with the stress so that your body can relax and stop producing these hormones, b) take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte for about 6 weeks to boost your immune and your nervous system. If you could possibly fit in some gentle relaxing exercise like yoga it would also be beneficial.
There are so many stress factors in your life at the moment that it would help to get some help in coping with them.
Hang in there