Posted by: stressed | 2009-06-05

can' t seem to lose weight

Hi, I am 27 yrs old and weigh about 87kg. I do not have a lot of time to train in the morning and the evening so I split my exercises in 2. I go to the gym 5 days per week
I do weight training in the morning for about 40mins, I do not train evering thing at one time, I do my chest today, the next day I do my back and the other my lower body etc. I do my lower body twice a week though because that is my worst problem area.
In the evening I do about 50 mins of cardio. I use the treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical etc. I do moderate to high intensity everyday.
I do eat sensibly but I can' t seem to lose the weight. I have built muscle though. Do u think there is something that I' m doing wrong? I' ve been doing this programme for about 3 months now. But I' ve been going to the gym for 9 months now

Given the 9 months, you probably should expect to have lost some weight. Often, people don't lose weight int he first two or three months, but then start after that, so the time is not a consideraiton here.

It's a difficult one though, because the elements of your training programme are in place and so on paper, you should be seeing results.

The question is - are you getting fitter? Are you lifting heavier weights, or doing more reps and sets now than you were nine months ago? Are you running or cycling further and faster than in November last year? If not, then that's your problem - you're actually not adapting to the training, and you need to relook at it, probably with some assistance from a biokineticist, because the problem lies in the details, not the principles.

If you are getting fitter, then look at the diet, because that's crucial and eating sensibly is great, but is it possible that little things, like details such as timing of meals, ratios of foods, is causing your problem?

That would be my guess, actually, and so I'd suggest seeing a dietician about it. But fitness, and diet, are always key guides, and unfortunately, the problem often lies in the details.

Posted by: stressed | 2009-06-08

Thanx Mandy, bt when will the centimeteres go away?

Reply to stressed
Posted by: Mandy | 2009-06-06

If I' m not mistaken weight training will increase muscle mass and muscle is heavier than fat so although you may be loosing fat you' re gaining muscle. Even cardio builds muscle because you' re making your muscles work. You aren' t doing anything wrong to gain muscle weight.

Reply to Mandy