Question
Posted by: Lin | 2008/10/19

Can' t " switch off" 

If I had a busy day or we did something exciting (or even recently the night before an exam), I can' t seem to switch off. I only get to the state where I' m half awake and half asleep. Events keep going on in my mind and it doesn' t stop. I' m exhausted the next morning.
Now I see my 2 and I half year old little boy is experiencing the same thing.
During these nights, we talk alot in our sleep. (I' m aware that I' m talking and then stop. It just starts again). My husband says it even looks as if I' m awake.
It' s terrible and I' ve experienced it since I can remember.
Please help!
THanks for your time.

That's actually typical of being in a highly aroused state, and is normal, even if inconvenient ! A counsellor or shrink could help you learn methods of avoiding some of this hyper-arousal, and to learn ways to unwind and calm down when this happens. Try not to go from very busy to expectign to sleep, too rapidly. Take time to unwind, calm down, read a dull book, have a warm milky drink, have a warm bath, etc. And if you go to bed and find you're still chrning around after 10 minutes, get up and go to the lounge or elsewhere and waind down there, rather than letting your brain learn to be over-aroused and sleepless in bed