Question
Posted by: Johan | 2008/06/29

Can't get past plateau

I have been dieting and exercising for 2.5 years now, I have lost 31.5 Kg's and reduced my bodyfat percentage from about 40% to 19%. My problem is that I can not get my bodyfat % lower than that, after some recent research I suspect that my macro nutrient profile needs a bit of work my diet currently sits at 57% protein 40% Carbs and 4% fat. I think the fat % is to low. What do you think?
I will be changing my diet from tomorrow to the following, 46% Protein 34% carbs and 20% fat (2905 Cal) and before I forget I weigh 94.2 and I am 1.82m. PS is it safe to go on Keto diets from time to time

Dear Johan
Firstly congratulations on losing nearly 32 kg and having halved your body fat % - this is wonderful. Well done! To answer your last question first - I am not in favour of keto or high-protein diets because they normally have such a high fat content, but you seem to have achieved a very low fat intake of only 4% fat, so you can probably use this type of diet from time to time. Your present BMI = 28,5 which is still above the upper level of the normal range (18-25), so if may be a good idea to reduce your total energy intake from approx. 2900 cal down to 2500 cal together with the changes in the macronutrient composition. You should preferably use a higher carb intake, and lower your proteins a bit as excessive protein intake can stress your kidneys and carbs when not eaten with lots of added fat, have a low energy content of 4 cal per gram.
Good luck with the next phase of your weight loss regimen.