Question
Posted by: candice | 2012/08/24

Can you please explain?

Hi there,

Could someone please explain or tell me a little more about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

Thx

Good news is that basic programming aspects of these sites is being altered, I hear, and soon it should become far easier and more fruitful to search for previous definitions and answers to questions like these.
Interestingly, one of the great psych pioneers of behaviour Therapy ( an earlier ancestor of CBT, was Joe Wolpe from Joburgm a brilliant and pleasant man who later became a colleague and friend of mine when we were on faculty together in Philadelphia in the USA.
ExM's description is pretty accurate. Basically, its a method that attends to both those behaviours and cognitions ( habits of thought ) which create your problems or significant parts of them. One aspect I particularly like is that rather than making you dependent on the therapist, it teaches you how to use relevant methods yourself, to adapt when any future similar problems arise.

2

Posted by: Ex M | 2012/08/24

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapeutic approach that addresses dysfunctional emotions, behaviours, and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic process. The name refers to behaviour therapy, cognitive therapy, and to therapy based upon a combination of basic behavioural and cognitive research.

CBT is effective for the treatment of a variety of conditions, including mood, anxiety, personality, eating, substance abuse, tic, and psychotic disorders. Many CBT treatment programs for specific disorders have been evaluated for efficacy  the health-care trend of evidence-based treatment, where specific treatments for symptom-based diagnoses are recommended, has favored CBT over other approaches such as psychodynamic treatments.

CBT was primarily developed through an integration of behaviour therapy with cognitive therapy . While rooted in rather different theories, these two traditions found common ground in focusing on the " here and now" , and on alleviating symptoms. There are loads of information on the net. Just google it.

Reply to Ex M