Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2012/10/10

Can you eat to much salad

Dear Diet doc

I am trying to eat more sensibly - I ate to much sugar and breads etc and too little veg and salads. Because I had curry and rice for lunch I decided to eat only salad for supper. I made a big dinner plate with lettuce, mini tomatoes, cucumber, 3 coloured peppers, carrots, onion and celery and about 30g cheese cut in. I made a salad dressing from a very small avo - mashed it was about 2 tablespoons and a tablespoon of fat free cottage cheese. I know you have to be careful with the high fat ingedients like cheese and avo - but on the other stuff - is it possible to over eat on salad as far as portions are concerned?

Dear BMJ
Theoretically one can eat very large quantities of these zero- or very-low-kJ foods such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, sweet peppers, celery, as well as berries and grapefruit, without them affecting your energy intake. Such foods are excellent fillers and are often rich in protective nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, as well as phytonutrients. Your moderate use of cheese and avo which have higher fat contents, should not increase your total energy intake for the day and they will also ensure that the GI of your supper will be low and not cause cravings later in the evening.
Enjoy

1

Dear BMJ
Enjoy