Question
Posted by: Rita van den Heever | 2011-02-07

Can too many dog biscuits cause harm

Our old bull terrier stole a bag of dog biscuits (he normally gets two in the evening as a treat) and OD''d on about half the bag. Can this cause him harm?

It may cause gastro-intestinal signs eg Vomiting / diarrhoea but watch out of any signs of a bloated tummy. If unsure ask you Vet to have a look at him

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-02-09

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Julia | 2011-02-08

He''ll probbaly have quite a tummy ache, but he should be fine. My dog once swiped a box of chocolates off the table and ate them all (carefully peeled back the foil wrapping first!). Off to the vet as we know chcolate is potentially lethal for dogs. Well, aside from a groaning belly, she was fine. I guess it''s like a kid that steals a huge bag of sweets and eats it!

Reply to Julia
Posted by: Chill | 2011-02-07

Dry dogfood expands as it absorbs liquid, so overeating could cause bloating, and I suppose in very extreme cases that could be dangerous.

If the dog is well enough for you to take the time to ask this on an online forum, then I guess things will have come right by the time you get a response.

I had a rescued dog once who burgled a bag of chunks during his initial very hungry phase - he walked round groaning for a bit - I made sure he kept moving (slowly!) and only allowed him to drink small amounts of water at a time. He settled down and eventually slept it off.

Reply to Chill