Posted by: stella | 2009-04-15

Can this be Diabetes?

My son is turning 3 in July.I am worried about him,some of The symptoms that i am worried about is that he' s always thirsty,and by that i mean he will drink a 2 L water all on his own,he urines a lot,he' s got a heavy apetite and in the morning his breath stinks,although we brush his teeth before he goes to bed and he doesn' t have his tonsels any more.Can this be signs of Diabetes.Can a pharmasist do a urine/finger prick test,how accurate is it,or should i take him to the GP for a test?

Dear Stella
I agree that some of the symptoms you describe could indicate diabetes, so please take your son to a medical dr for a checkup. The dr will advise which tests the lad should have done. If your son should suffer from diabetes, esp type 1 diabetes, then it is vital that you consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your son's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask the doctor what type of exercise your son can do and help him to get more active, e.g. take him for brisk walks every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission and only when his medication (e.g. insulin) dosage has been stabilised.