Question
Posted by: yoky | 2010-01-07

Can they request this on my expence?

I made a formal grievence against a women who bullied me. We had the formal had the grievence hearing 40 days ago and I want to know the outcome but my employer wants me to see a psychiatrist on my expence. (since I started to work with her half of my hair has fallen out and my dermotologist diagnosed me with alopetia aereta) I made it clear in the hearing that I cant say she is def. the reason for my hair loss although everybody at work say she is.My hairloss is just 1 problem. I have proof of many,many other times where I was bullied by her and my boss because they are best friends. The hearing was 14 hours and I dont think its fair for them to expect me to pay R900 per hour for a psychiatrist so that they can say if my hairloss is due to work stress of personal stress(if I had personal stress i would def. not have said anything about my hair in the hearing because i know it will back fire in my face)
My question: 1: Is there a law that say how long after a hearing they must inform me of the outcome? 2: Can they force me to go see a psychiatrist on my expence before the give the outcome?
Thanks!

If he hearing is over and the decision is awaited, it sounds very peculiar for the employer to try to re-open the whole matter by insisting on new assessments etc. Generally, the party requesting such a report is the one who would have to pay for it, IF they can convince the court / arbitrator . whoever that it is genuinely needed rather than simply a way of harassing you. You need legal adicve, from a free law clinic at the law school, for instance.
Alopecia Ariata, by the way, is a recognized skin condition, and not one caused by psychological stress as such. The dermatologist's opinion should have been sufficient.

3
Posted by: yoky | 2010-01-09

Hi Liza, no I am not claiming any compensation. This lady bullied me over a period of 18 months and my hair started to fall out after 9 months working with her. The other 15 people in the office talk about it and say they think its her,cause they know how she bullied me and I have proof and a very good witness. This is way I cant understand way they cant give the outcome of the hearing because my hair was not the reason for the hearing, I gave proof of many things she did including taking my rights away on some folders/drives on the computer network and therefore I could not do my work.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP!!!!

Reply to yoky
Posted by: Liza | 2010-01-08

Are you claiming compensation for the hair loss? If you are, they can request that you see a psychiatrist or psychologist at your own expense. If you are not claiming compensation for the hair loss and the purpose of the hearing is just to get the bully disciplined, Then it would be unfair labour practise. Call the CCMA and have a chat with one of their consultants. They would definitely be able to help you more.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza