Question
Posted by: Can they force me? | 2010/09/07

Can they force me?

Good day

I work for a big SA company. They recently restructured and everybody had to re-apply for jobs. I applied for a voluntary retrenchment package and my application was succesfull. My last day of work will be on 31 December.

I am working in Bryanston now. They now want me to work in Rosebank for the remainder of my time at the company.

For various personal reasons, it does not suit me to work in Rosebank. Even though both are in Johannesburg, it will add significant travel time and costs due to traffic.

Can they force me to work in Rosebank if i Indicated right from the start that I do not want a job in Rosebank?

If I do go to Rosebank, can I insist that the additional travel time be done in the Company''s time and not in my family time? I have 3 young children and I cannot leave earlier or get home later.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: CAN THEY FORCE ME?

A company cannot force you to work in a different area, especially if it's going to cost you much more maney to get there.

1
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/09/16

RE: CAN THEY FORCE ME?

Reply to Labour Lawyer