Posted by: Um | 2009-01-26

Can they do this?

So after finding out, with shock, that my employer won'  t be making any payment towards my salary or my benefits (of which they usually pay half) when I'  m on maternity leave, we (the employees) got an e-mail from the office manager on Thursday stating that we will now be receiving our bonusses in our birthday month, effective from 01 Jan 09. Which is fantastic news for me, seeing as my birthday is on 01 Jan. Friday afternoon just before close of business the financial manager phoned our office manager and confirmed that the bonusses will once again be reviewed, a day before pay day? When I checked my bank balance on Saturday it confirmed that only my salary was paid in.

Can they do this? I know that receiving a bonus is a privilegde, but can they just do this, after confirming to all the employees of the change that has been made?

I'  m so dissapointed...

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Once you have received confirmation that you are going to receive a bonus for them to withdraw it is an unfair labour practice and you must refer that to the CCMA