Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-12

Can therapy change one' s sexuality?

Dear Doc,

Can therapy make me straight? My closest friends know I' m gay and accept it but I have no gay friends. I' m tired of feeling so different and all I want is a normal life in all aspects - I want to be married, have a normal sex life and want children that are biologically mine and my partners. Sometimes I' m angry, sometimes won' t even get out of bed.

If there is any chance I can can change with the help of therapy, I' m willing to try

Many thanks

Some people ( more than most folks imagine ) are born gay and remain gay, and though some aspects of how society reacts to that may be most unpleasant, are as content to be gave as most others are content to be straight. Psychiatry and Psychology officially recognized this when they removed Homosexuality from their listings of pathology and mental disorder. That said, some shrinks recognize a condition in which someone who finds themselves largely gay instinctively, finds themselves unhappy with that situation, and would like assistance in either coming to terms with and celebrating what they ARE, or possibly in modifying their interests and behaviours towards heterosezuality which they sincerely desire, and might be able to help. This would largely be in therapy with a skilled psychologist, and one should steer clear of all who have a strong religious or ideological motivation to become involved in such work.