Question
Posted by: joe | 2008-11-26

can the morning after pill cause this?

hi doc i posted this question to you recently and got this response from you

Subject: can the morning after pill cause this?
Posted by: joe
Message:
hi doc,

i had my last period on the 23rd of oct on the 12th of nov i had unprotected sex i know it was not in my fertile period but i panicked and i took the morning after pill on that friday nite the 14th of nov. my period wa due on thursday the 20th it didnt come till friday nite. its not like my normal period on friday there was spotting and saturday the same spotting it was very lite. yesterday it became a bit heavier but its still not my normal period could the morning after pill cause this? or could there be a chance that i am pregant? this is the first time ive taken the morning after pill. the pill i took was norvelo and i took the 2 pills 1 time as the pharmacist tld me top take both.i didnt bleed or spot after wards

i has a miscarriage in feb and my husband and i are not ready for a baby yet. i went to the goverment clinic last week but the nurse checked my bllod pressure which was 153/92 and she refused to give me the pill. i am over weight and i am struggling to loose weight is there a pill you can recommend that is safe to use in high blood pressure.

thank you so much for your help.

Date: 24/11/2008

Subject:
Posted by: Gynaedoc
Message:
The spotting is most likely related to the morning after pill, but do a pregnancy test to be sure.
The nurse is quite correct. If you have high blood pressure, you are not allowed to use ANY of the combined contraceptive pills. Your options are Microval (mini-pill, n ot as reliable), the injectable or an IUCD.

Date: 25/11/2008

my question is. my normal period has started do i still need to take a preg test ? and i count my ovulation days and avoid having sex on those days as a mean of not getting pregnant do i count the day i started spotting as my period or the day my normal period started as the 1st day of my period?

many thanx

If you had a normal period at the right time, then preganncy is unlikely. It will probably be difficult to work out your ovulation time from this cycle as yoiur hormones have been manipulated. Using 'safe periods' is not a very good way of preventing pregnancy.