Question
Posted by: Tebogo Mahlangu | 2012-09-17

Can Sinus Arrythmia lead to Heart Failure?

I am a 27 year old male, non-smoker and social drinker (only on occasions). I was diagnosed with Sinus Arrythmia in December 2010, but initially it was suspected in 2006 when a doctor at work''s Medical Centre suggested a second opinion.

Well, lately I get exhausted and I am afraid of going to gym because I suspect my heart could stop at any moment. When is too much exercising too much? Because every little thing I do exhausts me quickly and makes my heart pound badly. And worse when I have sex, erections are not as hard as before. Could it be caused by anxiety or what? Can Sinus Arrythmia cause Heart Failure? How to manage it?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Tebogo

The answer very simply is no! Impossible. Sinus arrhythmia is a normal condition in healthy young people. All it means is that your heart speeds up as you breathe in, and slows down as you breathe out: a normal phenomenon, not an abnormal condition!

It sounds as though your exhaustion has got nothing to do with your heart, but if you are really worried about your heart, see a cardiologist and get a full assessment. If the cardiologist confirms that your heart is normal, then you can be perfectly sure it will not stop suddenly, for example when you go to gym. Normal healthy hearts can tolerate as much exercise as you can impose on them, so for people with normal hearts there is no such thing as “too much exercise”. It sounds very much as though anxiety is a part of your problem.

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012-09-26

Dear Tebogo

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist