Posted by: Shantal Lotriet | 2010-02-03

Can sick leave be taken for Doctors appointment during working hours

Hi there, I was diagnosed in Dec 2009 with Bipolar and now I have to go and see my Psyciatrist every few weeks but the problem is I have to do it during working hours because my Dr has to see patients in hospital so his first appointment is at 9am and his last is at 3pm. I basically want to know if I can legally put in sick leave when I have to go for my visits - can you also refer to something legal so that I can show it to my boss as he says I have to put in leave everytime I see any doctor

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You can take sick leave for a doctor's appointment, you merely need a certificate from your doctor who says that it was necessary for you to come in.

Posted by: np | 2010-02-05

Can' t you just work the time in? If you have to go every couple of weeks, work your lunch in or start a bit earlier?

Reply to np | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: JennNOLA | 2014-09-12

Not every job is so flexible. Some stores don't open until 10 am and "lunch" is only 30 minutes.