Posted by: Jenny Wallace | 2011-06-06

can one remove one''s sinus''es? and no sense of smell

I do not have a sense of smell - only when I take heavy cortisone course and an anti biotic - then my sense of smell comes back for a few days. I have very very bad sinusitus. Is there anything I can do to get back my sense of smell? Can one have your sinus''es removed and if yes - would it completely take away one''s sense of smell? I am also an asthmatic and my sinus''s affect my asthma. I have tried singulair, flixonaise, etc only cortisone seems to help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jenny

Your pulmonologist treating your asthma should refer you to and ENT with an interest in sino nasal work, as you are most likely suffering from poorly controlled sinus disease. After an evaluation, which should include a CT scan of the sinusses, a decision regarding possible surgery vs. conservative management will need to be made. Sinusses can not be removed, only the openings can be opened to assist proper drainage. The fact that you can not smell, may be a clear indication to the poor control of your sinus disease.