Question
Posted by: Gesig | 2012-04-20

Can not sleep...

Hi Doc,

Background: I am 36, female. Have not had very good health the last 6 yrs with mitral valve repair that was done 4yrs ago and had Nissen Fundo done 2 months ago due to Barrets and severe reflux.

My main problem: I have INSOMNIA. I just can not sleep. I have been taking Stillnox/Noxidem and Tripelene for the past 5 yrs basically. I am on anti-depros: was on 10mg Lexamil and changed to Veneflaxin? about a month ago with initial dose 30 and now on 75.

I ran out of Stillnox 3 days ago and I just can not sleep. It is now 01h16 and I wake up and had a busy day since 6h00 in the mornings and have to alert and ready for work, etc. in a few hours!

what can I do to get out of this pattern of taking sleeping pills as I just do not get tired enough to sleep?

The worst thing about insomnia, is worrying about it, lying there convincing yourself that you cannot get to sleep. If you don't get to sleep in 10-15 minutes ( and learning self-relaxation can help a lot ) its usually best to get up and do something useful, but maybe restful and a bit boring, like reading a worthy but dull book, or watching the endless repeats of really bad movies on DSTV "Always Something Old ), until you feel drowsy, and then going back to bed again. Try a warm milky drink, which supplies some chemicals that help support sleep.

1