Question
Posted by: Suzy | 2008/06/28

Can manager do this ??

Please help. My manager, who was hired in this capacity after being a driver in the organisation for 23 years, has a tendency to shout and scream at the staff. He also calls us stupd idiots. He has no qualifications with respect to managing. When he was promoted to manager he also immediately hired his wife, son, stepson and daughter in law who of course all hold high positions within the organisation.

His wife also swore at me in front of him and no action was taken. In fact, he did nothing. His son was fired after stealing the organisations vehicle to buy drugs, but he was fired only after the 5th time this happend. The manager has fired other people for misreading documents, and the case is currently being dealt with by the CCMA.

Is there anything I/we can do about the verbal abuse(it happens on a daily basis) and the obvious selective discipline ??

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

The verbal abuse must be reported via a grievance procedure it can also be taken to the Equality Court.

1
Posted by: Mark | 2008/06/29

Although it probobly happens in virtually every workplace,this type of bullying and/or harrasment is illegal.Is this manager of yours the owner?or does he have superiors himself?Does the company have[as required ]a grievence procedure?Do you belong to a good union?I have found that usuually when one stands up to them,that sort of manager would be the first to back down[a bully is always a coward]being in their little power base,they dont expect confrontation-remember the labour law is more on the side of the empoyee,something which the old fashioned bully boy type of manager doesnt like-although I can recall occasions where staff[males]have dealt with a boss like this in a rougher manner,and have got away with it[although I would never condone such behavior]

Reply to Mark