Question
Posted by: George | 2010/11/24

Can low testosterone in men cause depression

I'm not sure that low testosterone levels in men ( assuming this has been properly measured rather than just assumed ) actually causes depression. The effects of having a significantly low testosterone level might of course be depressing and disappointing.
But depression can of course cause loss of interest in sexual opportunities, loss of performance, loss of energy and drive, and might look like low testosterone even though all those symptoms might be due to the depression itself. Fortunately the depression is very likely to respond well to proper treatment.
I hope that you, or whoever you are considering, has seen a proper specialist psychiatrist for a full assessment and a discussion of the situation an the options for relieving it.

1